The Babble/On Project

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Washington on Washington

Just a quick post today because I've been and am quite busy. In previous posts I showed you a picture of a monument pedestal that I had modeled and discussed the Washington Monument in the context of where to draw the line between art and design. Well, about a week ago I decided to look up the measurements of the Washington Monument and model it in CAD.

The circular thing at the bottom is the foundation, which you normally don't see because it's underground. I worked out the dimensions by taking the depth (36' 10", I think) and the area (16,002 sq. ft.), and then guessing it was cylindrical in shape by looking at pictures which show the surrounding pavement is laid out in concentric circles. If you look at an aerial shot, it looks like I got it right.


The little speck in my model is actually a person that I dropped in to provide a sense of scale. Here's a close-up to get a better idea.


In case you're wondering, that is actually George Washington that is standing there, presenting his own monument to you. I'd like to think that it makes him a little uncomfortable.

2 Comments:

  • Would it be physically possible to refashion the phallus as the Leaning Tower of Washington? Then we could do neat things like drop objects of different weights to test the law of falling bodies, or shoot missles from the top, or create the world's largest sundial. God, anything.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

  • sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home