The Babble/On Project

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Rockin' in the Free World

Well, I'm back from vacationing in the drier parts of the American South, and like Nixon I'm tanned, rested and ready. I had a great time with the family up in Asheville on Thursday, and I took some pictures with my crummy camera phone of the fantastic architecture, which I'll show you tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've posted three tracks from that Cambodian rock music rekkid that I talked about last week. Considering the provenance of these recordings and the uncertain fates of their creators (and the meager size and benevloent disposition of my readership), I doubt that there are significant risks to posting these up, but if the RIAA comes knockin' I'm pulling these down pronto. Get 'em while they're free!

"Track 8" is an awesome bluesy stomper that sound like Van Morrison's "T.B. Sheets" with an occasional sweaty James Brown breakdown. I'm willing to bet this guy got ahold of a Screamin' Jay Hawkins record at some point.

There's no need to try to guess what the guys playing on "Track 13" were listening to, as this seems to be a local remake of Them's "Gloria" (what is it with Cambodians and Van Morrison?) I wish I knew if they took as many liberties with it as Patti Smith would a few years later (Buddha was reincarnated for somebody's Karma, but not mine...), but they certainly sound like they mean it.

"Track 15" is typical of the best songs on the compilation in that it features female vox and a slightly haunted melody that soars over the rest of the music. It reminds me a little bit of Ennio Morricone's film work of the same period, particularly "Il Gardenio del Delize." With both songs, I imagine a couple of really groovy foreign spies or vampires (or both!) tooling around in an Aston Martin, draped in slick clothes and Italian sunglasses.

Enjoy the songs, and let me know what you think.

1 Comments:

  • Super sweet on the trip to Ashevegas. You know that's where I'm from, right? And I loved track 8 of your Cambodian grupe downloads. Definitely agree with you on the James Brownisms - I think I even heard some of his HUH!s in there.

    By Blogger k, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home